What a 2019 it’s been in Redcar and Cleveland!
Fantastic events, business successes, sporting achievements and lots of award wins! – listed below is just a selection of great things we’ve celebrated – we hope you enjoy reading our review of year…
- Proud Redcar | Cleveland Ambassador, Glen ‘Duzza’ Durrant wins his 3rd BDO Darts World title – starting the year with some great local sporting success!
- We have our first Ambassador event of the year – ‘Value and Variety’ theme, at Gisborough Hall Hotel
- We welcomed our 150th Ambassadors – Oliver’s Fish and Chips
- Redcar Racecourse was crowned ‘Best Small Racecourse in Scotland and the North’ by the Racegoers Club
- Redcar and Cleveland celebrated its ‘inspiring women’ at a special event on international women’s day
- We, and the national media, discovered, through friend Joyce Dowding, that entertainer Larry Grayson’s famous ‘shut that door!’ catchphrase was coined in Redcar! – the door itself was discovered too and as an important piece of cultural history, is now being preserved
- The wonderful Steel Stories exhibition opened, at Kirkleatham Museum. Since opening, 50,000 people have visited – fantastic
- Zetland Lifeboat returned to Redcar following months of conservation work – she looked fabulous!
- The East Cleveland Klondike cycling race wowed crowds – with Anna Henderson and Rory Townsend winning the women’s and men’s races
- Sirius Minerals tunnel boring machine ‘Stella Rose’ was launched at a ceremony at Wilton International
- There was fun, entertainment and fireworks to celebrate Saltburn Pier’s 150th anniversary
- Staying in Saltburn, Keep Britain Tidy awarded the beach the prestigious Blue Flag status for the high quality of the seawater, clean beach and nearby amenities.
- ‘Duzza’ duz it again! Ambassador Glen Durrant beats world number one, Michael van Gerwen to win the darts PDC title
- Neil ‘Razor’ Ruddock tweeted to say that he watched the Champions League final in Redcar – and it seemed like he had a great night!
- Guardian travel writer, Kevin Rushby enthused about Saltburn being “a quite splendid discovery; a kind of funky Victoriana” and Skinningrove beach being “stunning”
- Families celebrated 900 years of Gisborough Priory with a medieval pageant
- Professor Carole Haswell became our 300th Ambassador. Carole, a proud ‘Saltburn lass’ who studied in Redcar and Guisborough, is now head of astronomy at the Open University. Carole marked the occasion by speaking at our ‘Forging Bridges’ Ambassador event about growing up in Redcar and Cleveland, and the small matter of discovering various planets!
- Redcar celebrated getting plastic free status, joining Marske and Saltburn
- The Guardian continued spreading the love about us! – naming Saltburn as one of their Top 10 seaside resorts in the UK
- The Mighty Weekend! – there were a magnificent 7 events across 3 towns – beach music events, Redcar triathlon, Saltburn Food Festival and Proms in the Priory at Guisborough – what a weekend!
- Princess Anne visited Zetland Lifeboat Museum and Saltburn Valley Gardens
- East Cleveland Scarecrow Festival returned in all its wonderful glory!
- Rayven Skye Masters won the first Redcar and Cleveland’s Got Talent, and won the chance to perform at Redcar Live in September
- MFC Foundation opened a new outreach centre at Loftus, serving the East Cleveland community
- The fantastic Festival of Thrift returned to Kirkleatham, with 40,000 people visiting over the weekend
- Saltburn was named best coastal resort and best railway station at ‘Northumbria in Bloom’ for its fabulous floral displays
- Steel Stories wins Best Small Museum at the ‘Museums change Lives Awards’
- We welcomed our furthest Ambassador to the team – artist Ray Jones, all the way from Melbourne, Australia!
- And, we welcomed our first Ambassa-dog! – Milo…
- Exciting plans for a new 3-screen cinema at the Regent site in Redcar were announced
- At the Tees Businesswomen Awards, Ambassadors Sharon Lane of Tees Components won Businesswoman of the Year and ‘Footprints in the Community’ won the Charity and Voluntary category
- Dave Cocks won our first photography competition for his wonderful image of an amazing Saltburn sunset – we received over 250 entries in the competition
- There was ‘Good Food Award’ success for Cookfellas at Guisborough and Redcar’s Olivers and Seabreeze
- Great news from British Steel as Chinese giant, Jingye Group agreed to buy the company and secure its future
- Ambassadors PD Ports won their 6th! Award of the year – Customer Care award at the International Bulk Journal Awards
- Redcar was formally confirmed as one of 8 host towns for next year’s Tour De Yorkshire – we can’t wait!
- Construction was completed at Kirkleatham Walled Garden, which will open in spring – we’re extremely excited about this too!
- ICL Boulby revealed that it’s smashing records for polyhalite mining, with 75,000 tonnes in November
- TransPennine Express started its new direct service connecting Redcar with Manchester, Leeds and York – great news for us
- We celebrated Christmas with close to 40 festive events across Redcar and Cleveland
- More than £1.1 million granted to help transform Guisborough Town Hall, thanks to funding from The National Lottery Heritage Fund.
And, on the Ambassador programme, close to 300 people attended our four events, held at Gisborough Hall, The Spa Hotel Saltburn, Materials Processing Institute and Steel Stories at Kirkleatham Museum. We ended the year by approaching 400 Ambassadors – that’s amazing – thank you to every one of you, your support is very much appreciated. Do you want to join us? – sign up here.