COVID – 19 Hospitality Business Advice

Support for Outdoor Hospitality – Updated: 13 August 2021

Hospitality businesses wishing to use the pavement adjacent to their property should apply to the Council’s Licensing Team for a pavement licence or a pavement café licence:

  • A pavement licence is a temporary solution which can be issued up to 30 September 2022 and is free of charge.
  • A pavement café licence is a longer term solution which can be renewed every year but is subject to a charge.

Details of both licences can be found at:


Where hospitality businesses cannot meet the conditions of a Pavement License on the pavement adjacent to their property, the Council will consider the use of the adjacent road (the ‘carriageway’) to support the pavement café area on a case by case basis taking into account:

  • The number of additional covers that could be created as a result of the closure (it is unlikely that parking bays will be suspended to facilitate less than six additional covers)
  • The frequency of trading (where the carriageway is not in regular use as part of the pavement café, the facility may be removed)
  • The requirements of other hospitality businesses in the vicinity
  • The availability of alternative car parking in the area for residents, businesses and visitors
  • The impact on the highway network, including Highway safety and the free flow of traffic
  • The impact on the street scene, amenity and pedestrian safety and convenience, particularly the ability to maintain social distancing
  • Confidence in the applicant’s ability to maintain social distancing and prevent nuisance
  • The availability of suitable equipment

Provision of carriageway for use as a pavement café will be entirely at the discretion of the Council and may be withdrawn at any time. The provision will be reviewed at the re-opening of indoor hospitality and because of changed circumstances, including applications from other hospitality businesses. There will be no full closure of the carriage way.

Businesses will still need to hold a Pavement License to operate and may require other permissions to ensure the safe and continued operation of any barriers or other infrastructure. Should the conditions of any licence or permission not be met, or barriers and other infrastructure not be appropriately managed, this package of support will be removed.

Businesses wishing to request use of the adjacent road (the ‘carriageway’) adjacent to their premises to facilitate outdoor hospitality should email licensingadmin@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk including a sketch plan of their proposed scheme.

This project is funded by the Welcome Back Fund.

The Welcome Back Fund has received £56 million of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government is the Managing Authority for the European Regional Development Fund. 

Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. Find more information on the gov.uk website. 

Special guidance for food businesses

If you operate a food business there is additional advice available on how you can protect people in workplaces from Coronavirus. The Food Standards Agency have published guidance here. This includes how to manage social distancing for customers.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health has produced detailed guidance for businesses offering takeaway and delivery food services. This is available here.

Registration of new food businesses

There is a requirement for all food businesses to register with the Council before they start to operate. This applies to charities and non-profit making businesses too. This means we can get essential information to you if necessary as you must still take steps to make sure food meets food safety requirements.

You do not have to be inspected before you start operating your business. If your business is temporary during the Coronavirus crisis then you just need to email to tell us when you have stopped. It is easy to apply to register online and there is no fee. To register simply click here.

For further information please contact The Environmental Health (Commercial) Team by email at food_team@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk.

Business Events



TEDCO Business Start-up Workshop

Read more



TEDCO - Marketing & Social Media - Online Workshop

Read more



ems: Networking

Read more

Privacy Policy

We regard your privacy as important and any personal information you give to us will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulations.

We do not store personal information about individuals who visit this site except where they provide contact information via our contact us page and contact forms available on various pages throughout the website.

Any information you provide will only be used for the reasons specified and it will not be shared with any third party without your consent, unless required by law.

Your contact details are kept securely and are only accessed by authorised members of staff as part of the provision of school services. If you do not wish us to keep this contact information please tell us.

This website uses Google Analytics which provides statistical data about the usage of the site. This information is not used to identify individuals, but is collected to provide us with an understanding of the areas of interest on our site and how our site is being used.

If you are connected to the internet you will have an IP Address. This may take the form of a figure, such as 333.333.22.1. The address will be automatically collected and logged as part of the connection of your computer to our web server and may be used to determine the total number of visits to each part of the site. This data is not collected and used for other purposes.

This website contains links to other websites. The School is not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites or organisations and recommends you consult the privacy information on those sites.

This policy will be reviewed and updated versions will be posted on the website.

If you have any questions about the use of your personal information, the Information Commissioner is the independent regulator for both Data Protection and Freedom of Information.