Welcome to Winkies Castle
A Half-Cruck house and one of the oldest cottages in Marske is now home to Winkies Castle.
With lots of local history and heritage waiting to be discovered the museum’s timeline depicts events in Marske’s history from the 11th Century to the present day and features many references including the burial of Captain James Cook’s father in 1779; a visit to the village by author, Charles Dickens in 1844; the First World War aerodrome which counted W.E. Johns, the author of the famous ‘Biggles’ books as one of its instructors and Malcolm Campbell’s land speed record on Marske Beach in 1922 in his 380 hp Sunbeam.
For further information, visit – www.winkiescastle.co.uk
162 High Street